Sunday, 28 April 2013

Low Culture - Screens

Screens is pop-punk that shrugs off the taint of cleanliness that infects some of that genre, ex-Marked Men/Shang-A-Lang Dirtnap goodness, songs that snap into each other so quickly and sharply that sometimes you think it's just a rhythm shift in one song. Clackety power-pop that often seems to turn on that modern life alienation axis, all medication ("But I can't seem to replace the space that was left behind" on Pills) and distance, the thrum of technology and the croon of separation, like Royal Headache by way of Subhumans songs, or Lost in the Supermarket torn through by the Carbonas.


"I can't keep these demons from crawling in" shouts Nightmare in a full punk tumble, "You say you wanna take me out well take me out" drawls Waste the Day Away. But this focus on emptiness, so perfectly captured in the little trills that burst out of the garage-punk shiver, finding respite on the mellower California with bubbling sunny pop melodies and refrain of "But tonight I'm getting fucked up in California/Drinking whiskey on the beach/And all those kids who were better than me/Well they're probably sitting home watching their TV" This always feels to me like a small album, it's not some all encompassing statement, it's not a blast of noise to rearrange and reconfigure, it's a tight punk picture of some bad stuff and some good stuff, wrapped up in sweet vocal lines and hooky doxologies to our troubles and tenseness and what breaks through.

3 comments:

  1. Do you have an email? Id love to make a submission!

    openxletters@gmail.com

    openxletters.bandcamp.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can e-mail me at fullthrottlelazy@gmail.com or joebriggs77@gmail.com I can't promise I'll review anything though as I don't have any set schedule for reviewing stuff and I just go by what I feel like writing on any given day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I instantly loved Low Culture when the needle hit their first 7" & this LP is pretty sweet as well!

    ReplyDelete